History of St Margaret's
St Margaret’s Adoption Society was set up by the Catholic Church under the auspices of a benevolent/friendly organisation. This was the legal vehicle to operate charities, and approval was granted by the then Town Council in 1955. The constitution was relatively simple in stating that the business of the Society was to find homes for children and assist adoptive parents. The Trustees included the Archbishop of Glasgow and the Bishops of Motherwell, Paisley and Galloway, with support being provided from the Dioceses.
The premises at 274 Bath Street originally consisted of one flat which was provided by the Church and business commenced. The Society, due to legislative changes, became a Limited Company in 1982.
The fundamental aims did not alter but the complexity and scope of it did. It was decided that the Society should widen its scope, thus St Margaret’s Children and Family Care Society was set up. This has allowed the Society to offer further services and initiatives, strengthening the impact of St Margaret’s on our community over the years.
Due to expansion it became necessary to secure larger premises and in November 2013 our new St Margaret’s Centre For The Family was opened by Archbishop Tartaglia at 26 Newton Place, Glasgow.
The outstanding feature of St Margaret’s is that it has evolved into a family of its own. Our “annual gatherings” every Summer demonstrate the wonderful spirit of family, and the care for each other is heartening for all, especially for staff who bring a strong vocational dimension to what they do.
As a registered adoption agency St Margaret’s has an established reputation for excellent practice in the field of adoption. This has been recognised by the Scottish Government and is reflected in our recent Care Inspectorate report.
Adoption Services Contact Form
Feel free to contact us on on the info below or use the form to send us amessage..
26 Newton Place,
Glasgow, G3 7PY.
0141 332 8371